Some cool roofing standards programs like LEED and Green Globes are voluntary, but others like building codes in Atlanta, Chicago and throughout California mandate minimum standards that all buildings must meet.
It is extremely important for roofing contractors to understand national and local cool roofing standards. Here is a list of the major ones:
- California Title 24 (the most stringent standards in the nation)
- The Environmental Protection Agency's ENERGY STAR program
- U.S. Green Building Council's LEED program
- The Green Building Initiative's Green Globes program (similar to LEED)
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- Local standards — Municipalities nationwide are identifying the benefits of using energy-saving building codes that go beyond the standard code language. Please check with your local government to determine standards in your particular region.
One of the reasons it is hard to be specific about codes is the lack of any unified standard - there is no national energy code. California is definitely leading the way and setting a good example for the rest, but each state has its own standards. One advantage of that is that each state can determine codes that make the most sense for their specific climate.
Find a Contractor here
ROOFING CONTRACTORS NEEDED IN MULTIPLE STATES!
Patton Services | (309) 303-3128 | firstname.lastname@example.org | http://www.whiteroofingsystems.com