Specifying SPF Roofing Systems: Part 8
Selecting a SPF Roofing Contractor
Below are a few tips on selecting the right spray polyurethane foam (SPF) roofing contractor for you and your home or building.
Contact suppliers for a list of contractors in your area. Should the manufacturer only provide you with a couple of names, keep them handy. There is probably a good reason for the limited recommendations. Also, if more than one manufacturer recommends the same contractor, it’s usually a good sign.
Contact related trade groups such as the Spray Polyurethane Foam Alliance (SPFA) or National Roofing Contractors Association for contractors in your area. Ask contractors if they participate in educational programs such as SPFA’s Accreditation Program.
Obtain recommendations from friends and associates, but be sure to compare apples to apples - hiring a great commercial roofer for a small residential project may be a mistake.
Interview the contractor to determine if the company has the qualities and experience you desire. Some questions to ask your prospective contractor include:
- What type of roofing system do you install?
- What type of roofing system do you prefer?
- How long have you installed the systems?
- What is your specialty?
- What is your preference for my particular roof?
- What regions do you cover?
- Do you have offices or personnel in those regions?
- How many crews do you have?
- Have you ever declared bankruptcy; if so, what were the conditions?
- Who will perform the work?
- How are they trained?
- What certifications, approvals, licenses, or awards does the company have?
- How does your company address site safety and regulatory compliance?
- What associations does your company belong to?
- What is the average length of the roof project of my type?
- How soon can you schedule the work?
- What warranties are available?
- Do you provide maintenance services (including inspections)?
- How do you handle complaints or call-backs?
- How do you verify quality?
Check references. Most contractors will provide a list of references on projects similar to yours. Be sure to check out enough to get a good understanding of the contractor’s relative performance and customer service. A few helpful questions to ask include:
- Were you happy with the overall project?
- Was the contractor reliable, informative, helpful, on time, etc?
- Were there any misunderstandings?
- Did the project start and end according to estimates?
- Do you consider the roof a good investment?
- How old is the roof?
- Were there any complaints or problems; if so, did the contractor address your concerns satisfactorily?
The information you collect can assist not only in finding the right contractor, but in evaluating pricing differences. With a little effort, you should be able to find a contractor you can trust to do a great job.
We hope you have enjoyed this 8-part series on spray polyurethane foam (SPF). If you have any follow-up questions, contact one of our contractor......
Find a Contractor
Tired of labor problems and low profit margins? Make more $$ spraying coatings with Conklin Roofing Systems!Patton Services | (309) 303-3128 | firstname.lastname@example.org | http://www.whiteroofingsystems.com